Can hamsters eat chocolate? No, it is true that some hamster owners may not be aware that chocolate is indeed poisonous to hamsters. This should be a serious wake-up call for some owners who have long suspected that their hamster is eating something they shouldn’t be – chocolate. Hamsters are omnivores, meaning that they need to eat both plant-based foods as well as small creatures like insects. Chocolate can make a hamster very sick or even kill him if too much of the tasty treat is consumed at once.
Can hamsters eat chocolate? No! Why not?
Chocolate contains a compound called caffeine which theobromine, another chemical element found in chocolate, works with and amplifies in effect. Theobromine works by stimulating the heart and central nervous system. A true chocolate lover may not be affected by eating several pieces of chocolate at once but a hamster is very small, weighing in at about 250 grams. To put that in perspective, one ounce of dark chocolate is considered to be about 60 grams. This amount is more than enough to make a hamster sick or even kill him if it’s consumed.
What should I do if my Hamster has eaten Chocolate
If you suspect that your hamster has eaten some chocolate you should take him to a vet right away. The vet is going to do two tests on your hamster to figure out how much chocolate he has eaten. The first test is to check his blood sugar level and the second would be a urine test. Both of these tests will help determine whether your hamster needs to be hospitalized or just monitored at home closely.
Some people may try home remedies like activated charcoal to help stop the effects of the poison. The charcoal works by binding itself with some of the poison so it cannot be absorbed by the body which can help reduce nausea and vomiting, but it’s not going to cure your hamster or completely take away all symptoms of poisoning. Theobromine is water-soluble and the charcoal may not be able to get the water-soluble poisons off of your hamster.
If your Hamster has eaten Chocolate, take him to the Vet!
If your hamster has ingested a large amount of chocolate, you should bring him in to see a veterinarian immediately. The vet may also do skin tests on your hamster to test for other chemicals theobromine produces.
If you found this blog article helpful you might also like to read: